Thursday, June 18, 2009

Green fingers

Two weeks ago I planted a packet of seeds for a Venus Fly Trap. They were tiny little black things smaller than the grains of fine sand they were packed with. I didn't hold out much hope though. When my brother tried to grow one, the whole packet of seeds failed to sprout.

So the pot has been sitting on my kitchen windowsill in a plastic bag, in a tray of water for a fortnight. And I've just had a look at the compost through the bag. Looks like there is some green fuzz and a single green bud! It's tiny (about a millimetre) but it's poking up above the soil. In another two to four weeks it should be ready to come out of the bag. Maybe even to re-pot, who knows.

I'm actually quite excited about it.

There will be pictures once it's out of the bag.

5 comments:

Ms.LizzyBeth said...

Hmmmm, well I suppose I will just have to tell my pet fly that he can not take that out of country trip now, regardless of how good his school grades are.

Penny M said...

Well if you insist on having one of these lethal pets, make sure you mind your fingers when you handle it!

Lynn Jones said...

Feed me Seymore! :-)

Anonymous said...

I always killed my Venus Flytraps by catching flies for them and force feeding them. Or making their traps close 'artificially'.
I accept this makes me a bad person.

Lucie G said...

Mine never sprouted, despite my usually reliable policy of benigne neglect, so well done. Look forward to the pics. :)